The Portuguese passport is the 5th largest passport in the world, and the country is known worldwide for its splendid culture, lavishing cities, and economic progress.
The government also offers various investment opportunities. The country first initiated the legal framework of Portugal’s residency by investment program, also known as the “Golden Visa,” in 2012.
Thousands of people got the Golden Visa for Portugal within 8 years of its initiation and secured their lives in this economically stable country.
- Getting the Golden Visa for Portugal through Real Estate Acquisition
- Eligible property options for the Golden Visa program of Portugal
- Investments Scheme in Hotels
Getting the Golden Visa for Portugal through Real Estate Acquisition
According to a recent report of the Global Residence and Citizenship Programs, the Golden Visa program initiated by Portugal is the best residency by-investment program in the world.
This report highlights ten indicators to analyze this program. Those indicators are;
- Citizenship Requirements
- Quality of Life
- Quality of Process and Processing Time
- Time to citizenship
- Financial Requirements
- Total Cost
- Visa-Free Access
From all these indicators, the Golden Visa program of Portugal gets 79 points out of 100. Moreover, the minimum threshold of real estate investments for this program in Portugal is €280,000.
Eligible property options for the Golden Visa program of Portugal
As discussed above, investment in real estate is an option for Portugal’s Golden Visa program, and the routes to follow to qualify for that are:
1. Residential Real Estate
To purchase residential real estate in a designated area, visa holders need to pay €500,000, and if the property is part of an urban rehabilitation project, the investment requirement is €350,000.
This minimum threshold of investments will be dropped by 20 percent if the property is in a low-density area.
2. Commercial Real Estate
An investor can buy commercial real estate anywhere in Portugal, and the investment should be at least €500,000.
If the property is located in a low-density area, then the minimum investment requirement can be dropped by 20 percent.
3. Real Estate Investment in the Azores or Madeira Islands
Investing in commercial or residential real estate in the Azores or Madeira Island will qualify the investor for the Golden visa program of Portugal. For that, the amount to be invested should be €500,000.
The investment requirement will be dropped to €350,000 if the property is part of a rehabilitation project.
However, such a discount for these islands is not available as these are not part of the declared low-density areas of Portugal.
4. Investments in Real Estate in Lisbon, the Algarve, and Porto
Residential Real estate Investments in a non-interior area like Lisbon, the Algarve, and Porto will not qualify the investor for Portugal Golden Visa.
However, a commercial real estate investment in these areas will help the investor to get a Golden Visa for Portugal. International investors have been investing in hotels, offices, and Airbnb apartments licensed in these areas.
If you think that buying a residential property in a popular spot will not make you qualify for the Golden Visa of Portugal, then it is not valid.
Although the majority of the famous areas are already occupied, there are still some of the best locations in the country where you can make residential investments.
For instance, you can have your dream home in a mini coastal village in the Algarve, the Alijezur.
You can enjoy life to its fullest in this area as it is away from the crowds. Sagres is another example of these regions, and Douro Valley is also an option to buy residential property and be eligible for Golden Visa.
Douro Valley is near Porto, so you can visit big cities easily. Moreover, there is no geographical restriction if you consider investing in commercial property in Portugal and being eligible for the Golden Visa.
Investments Scheme in Hotels
- Investing in a renovation project hotel can also assist you in getting a Portuguese Golden Visa, which means you can buy a room or an apartment in a hotel or a resort and be eligible for this program. These projects will give you options like;
- Once you become a citizen of Portugal and get citizenship, then you can have the buyback option, and you can get it back in five or 6 years.
- You can live in the apartment for a week or two a year as you have to stay in Portugal seven days a year on average.
- The property can be given on rent for the rest of the time. The projected income upfront will be paid to you by some developments, and others will pay it as a dividend. However, some developers will only pay you some initial investment but will offer you a buyback rate.
This Golden Visa program will help you be part of the developed community in the heart of Europe.
If you want to avail this golden opportunity, then reach out to us! We are here to help you on this journey.