For foreign nationals with the necessary capital, the EB-5 program can be an excellent way to obtain permanent resident status in the United States. Unlike other immigrant visa options, the EB-5 visa requires no U.S. employer to act as a sponsor, nor does it require any specialized knowledge, skills, or experience. Further, the EB-5 program is not limited to foreign nationals from specific treaty nations.
Upon making a qualifying investment and receiving approval from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), an EB-5 investor, his or her spouse, and any unmarried children under age 21 will be granted conditional permanent residence. Two years later, if the investment has proven to meet the program’s requirements, the investor and his or her family will have the conditions removed from their residency status. Five years after first receiving conditional permanent resident status, they can become naturalized citizens.
EB-5 Visa Benefits for the Foreign Investor
The direct benefits of the EB-5 visa for foreign investors include the following:
- One of the fastest methods to gain permanent residency in the United States for the investor, his/her spouse, and unmarried children under 21 years of age
- Freedom to live and work anywhere in the United States, without restriction, including in states such as Florida and Texas with no state income tax
- Education benefits such as access to public elementary, middle, and high schools and lower-cost in-state tuition at public colleges and universities
- No visa sponsor requirements
- No H-1B work visa needed for employment
- Investment must be “at risk” but can be secured by collateral in a real estate project to minimize downside risk; We focus on projects with structural downside protection
- In the event of a political change/significant event in the investor’s home country, he/she and family can immediately gain entry to the United States without delay
- Potential for U.S. citizenship after minimum five years of established permanent residency in the United States
If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of an EB-5 visa or the EB-5 program generally, please contact us.